A sebaceous cyst is a common condition that affects many people worldwide. If you have a sebaceous cyst that is bothering you, surgery may be recommended. In this post, we will discuss everything you need to know about surgery for sebaceous cyst at Oxona Healthcare.
What is a sebaceous cyst?
Before diving into surgery options, let’s understand what a sebaceous cyst is. A sebaceous cyst is a closed sac of skin located under the skin’s surface. It usually contains a yellow, thick, oily material called sebum mixed with dead skin cells. It is non-cancerous. While these cysts are generally harmless, they can cause discomfort and affect your confidence. They can also get infected.
When is surgery recommended?
Some sebaceous cysts do not require surgery and can resolve on their own without treatment. If you are considering sebaceous cyst surgery, it is crucial to choose a skilled and experienced surgeon who can perform the procedure safely and effectively. At Oxona Healthcare, all our doctors have postgraduate qualifications in skin surgery. We also have extensive surgical experience and will guide you through the entire sebaceous cyst removal process, from pre-operative assessment to completion of treatment. We always quote a single price for surgery which includes all aftercare. This means that there are never any ‘extras’ to worry about.
Situations where surgery may be recommended include:
1.Uncomfortable symptoms: If the cyst is causing pain, discomfort, or affecting your daily activities, we may recommend surgical removal. This can relieve any discomfort and improve your quality of life.
2. Infection: If the cyst becomes infected, it can cause redness, swelling, and pus formation. In such cases, surgery may be required to drain the infection and remove the cyst.
3. Cosmetic concerns: Sebaceous cysts can sometimes be large or visible, causing insecurity or self-consciousness. If you’re unhappy with the appearance of the cyst, surgical removal can be considered to improve your self-esteem.
What does the surgery involve?
The surgical procedure to remove a sebaceous cyst is a relatively simple and straightforward outpatient procedure. We can remove these cysts at any of our Oxona clinic locations: Oxford, Didcot, Chipping Norton and St Albans. It is done under local anesthesia, meaning you will be awake during the procedure, but the area being operated on will be numb.
During the surgery, we will make an incision over the cyst and remove it along with the cyst wall. This ensures that the entire cyst is removed, reducing the chances of recurrence. The cysts can be stuck down to other tissues, and so you may feel tugging, but you shouldn’t feel pain. If you start to feel pain, please tell us and we can add more anaesthetic. The wound is then closed with sutures, sometimes two layers of stitches and sometimes just one, and a dressing is applied to protect it.
After the surgery, it is important to follow our doctor’s instructions for post-operative care:
1. Keeping the wound clean and dry: avoiding strenuous activities or movements that may put pressure on the wound, and taking any prescribed medications for pain or infection prevention.
2. Managing pain and swelling: It is normal to experience some pain, swelling, and bruising in the area after the surgery. These symptoms should gradually improve over time. If you notice any signs of infection, such as increased redness, warmth, or pus, it is important to contact Oxona Healthcare immediately. We have phone lines open during the working week and an emergency phone line for complications or worries.
3. Recovery time: The recovery time after surgery for a sebaceous cyst is usually short. Most people are able to resume their daily activities within a few days to a week, depending on the size and location of the cyst. We will give you specific instructions regarding when you can remove the sutures and when you can return to normal activities.
To find out more about removing your sebaceous cyst, get in touch with our team. Our prices start from £415, with our average cyst removal price of £535. Sebaceous cyst removal is available in St Albans, Oxford, Didcot or Chipping Norton. Call us on 0865 965027 or 01727 620101 or Click to book an appointment